How to Clean A Pool That Has Been Sitting
Is Draining the Right Option?
Draining will depend on the type of pools. You can drain a pool. However, you will have to avoid draining for fiberglass and vinyl pools. The old vinyl liners can shrink while draining and the fiberglass is lightweight. Water removal might affect the quality and longevity of the material. If you avoid draining, you will have to spend hundreds of dollars on chemicals to recover the poor water. However, it will not serve the purpose completely. The recovered water can still contain certain bacteria.
When Draining Is an Option
When there is a lot of debris inside the pool, you can use a trash pump for cleaning. This device can clean your pool within an hour. The best thing is that it will soak up the twigs, leaves, and even solids of a golf ball size. If the condition is not that bad, you can use a smaller gas pump for cleaning. You can go through the following to avoid floating the pool.
- Do not drain soon after heavy rain
- Once draining is done, refill your pool as soon as possible
After draining, it is always suggested to pressure or acid wash the pool for a better result. If the material is fiberglass or vinyl, you can use a low-pressure washing and mild soap for cleaning.
When Draining Is Not an Option
- You can use a leaf bagger and leaf nets to remove almost ninety-nine percent of the organic debris. Try until the net comes up clean.
- Treat water to balance alkalinity, pH, and stabilizer.
- Shock your pool until you find the water in blue-grey color. It might demand more effort to get this result. You will have to be prepared to use 5-10 lbs pr 10,000 gallons of water.
- You can also run a filter for 24/7 to clean the water. Use it until the water is fully purified.
- Use flocculant to make the dust particles to drop on the bottom. You can also use clarifier to set suspended particles.
- Fill your pool with water and then use your vacuum by setting the multi port filter valve. It will help to lighten the stains.
Now you know how to clean a pool that has been sitting. You can try the above steps to clean your unattended pools. But before trying these steps, it is important to understand the type of material and then you can plan the cleaning accordingly. Wrong cleaning methods might affect the durability and appearance of your pool. Jason the Pool Guy has licensed experienced professionals ready to repair any pool.