Benefits of a Saltwater Pool vs. Chlorine
The chlorine solution added to the pool breaks down into several chemicals such as hypochlorite ion and hypochlorous acid. These chemicals destroy the organisms by attacking the cell structure oxidizing them hence rendering them harmless.
In saltwater pools, the process is the same, only that this time instead of purchasing commercially produced chlorines with all its chemicals, you get a chlorine generator that derives chlorine from salt similar in content to what you use at the table. Therefore the chlorine content is less concentrated and herein lies the basis of the benefits of saltwater pool vs. chlorine.
Because of the less concentration and its working mechanism, saltwater pools provide many benefits on several fronts that include, health-wise, cost wise, and even efficiency. These benefits include:
- Less Chemicals in the Pool: First, the chlorine generator gets to measure the chlorine levels in the pool and automatically adds them as needed, so you do not need to keep on adding and guessing your chlorine levels. You also do not need to keep on getting stabilizers to prevent the depletion of the chlorine by the sunlight. Better still, the salt used is recycled so there is then no need to add more salt.
- A Healthier Pool: The high concentration of chlorine in the traditional pools leads to excess exposure and its byproducts. In turn, this leads to numerous health problems from irritation of the eyes, respiratory system and skin, to long-term concerns like hair discoloration and cancers.
- More Natural and Cost Effective: Instead of chlorine bleach, you have sodium chloride. The only cost you worry about is the initial cost of purchasing the pump and installing it. Once this is done, the recycling and low cost of sodium chloride means that there are less operational costs compared to chlorine pools. You also do not need to get other chemicals like stabilizers for your pool.
You may have a smaller increase in electrical costs, but in the long run, the savings on purchases bring the general monthly or annual running costs down. That is not even including on the health benefits that you’ll be getting from this type of pool.
- More Comfortable to Swim In There is no strong chlorine smell, and the water is also soft on all body part and swimwear.
- Less Maintenance It is much easier to maintain since you eliminate the presence of the algae and do not have to keep on running DTP tests. Further, the water is less cloudy as is the usual case with chlorine pools.
The discussion on the benefits of saltwater pools vs. chlorine shows that there is a lot to be gained by installing saltwater pools instead of chlorine pools. You’ll have a healthier pool since you are using a natural solution and cut out the extra chemicals that come with commercial chlorine. You also have high savings in the long run and a more comfortable pool.